SCREEN CAPTURE SOFTWARE RECOMMENDATIONS

In an effort to find a suitable free screen capture software for this BCOM 350 course I have spent time in three platforms: Capture, Screen Cast-Omatic, and VidGrid. With a simple click of a button, each software platform allows you to create videos and record activity on the computer screen and capture what you are doing with a voiceover, record a video of yourself with the use of a webcam or a combination of the two; so that it can be replayed. These software programs will be handy in a professional environment for training and education of colleagues and clients.

First up was: TechSmith’s Capture. I found Capture to be quite a lengthy process to begin. One will have to download the software, which was several steps long and create an account. Once all that was done, I was able to follow some video tutorials, but I had to go search for them. The Capture icon was surprising to me because it was amazingly simple (and easy) to use.

  

Here is my video tutorial to help FHSU students find open courses in Workday for the upcoming Spring 2022 semester.

Capture Video Tutorial

 

Second, I worked with ScreenCast-Omatic. I found this software much easier to begin working in since there was not a download. Additionally, it had an easy sign in process. Another feature I found helpful was a short (less than one minute) tutorial available right after you log in. I did not have to go hunt it down. I was not a fan of having to download the video to my Google Drive, but I made it work. After I created my video capture and replayed it, I found the yellow circle helpful for the audience since it draws attention to the computer screen. This can be seen in my video here:

Screen Cast-Omatic Video Tutorial

Finally, I used VidGrid to record a screen capture. I found this software simple and easy and this is probably since I have used it in the past for other courses. I believe it is available to all Fort Hays University students and although I do not see the icon in this courses Blackboard shell under “Course Tools” it has been available in other course shells. If not, a FHSU student I am unsure if this software would have free access, but this is the only downfall I see of this program.

VidGrid Video Tutorial

I feel each of this software options provided a high-quality video. For the most part, they were all easy to learn to use and I think this would hold even more true for digital natives. I could recommend any of the three options since once you download and learn how they work one can flourish, but my top pick would be VidGrid. VidGrid allows you to save your videos in your account; which I feel is very helpful with organization. It would be very easy to have a library of video captures that you can share with colleagues and clients as they are needed and you would always know where they are located.

In addition, I hope my video tutorials will help those of you who have not finished choosing courses to take at Fort Hays State University this upcoming spring semester!

 

 

Comments